Eat Here If You Want Re-Used Food and Horrible Staff!.
We had only just arrived into San Diego, and were STARVING. We checked into the gorgeous Omni and then nearly sprinted to the Gaslamp in search of food.....if only we had sprinted to past this horrible place. SO many red flags were thrown in front of our faces before our dining experience at Freds went down the toilet, literally, but we were so hungry and craving Mexican food that we chose to ignore them.
1. The hostess was unnecessarily rude...she was talking on her cell and seemed very annoyed that she had to stop so she could seat us, even though we smiled and waved her off, motioning we would seat ourselves....the place was nearly empty and all the tables on the patio were already bussed... she angrily opened the gate, slammed our menus on the table before walking away wordlessly.
2. Our waiter was equally unnecssarily rude.....we waited 10 minutes for him to come over to us and when he did he would only take our drink order...I said "we can order our lunch now too" and he responded, "yeah I'll be back for that." He would, in ANOTHER 10 MINUTES, and without our drinks.
3. We ordered, and when the food finally arrived I was so hungry I forgot to do the pre-meal poke-and-check......and this I must explain. Having been a vegetarian for the last 17 years, and being someone who has to leave the room when my roommate cooks a steak, I understand and concede that hardly anyone else that I may encounter will be as grossed out as I am by meat. I do not preach and I do not condemn. I just cannot eat, smell, or even touch meat. So, I shove a giant hunk of the cheese enchiladas I ordered (as non-assholishly as I could by telling the waiter they absolutely must be cheese) only to discover that they were actually chicken. I BARELY made it to the restroom before I lost the tiny amount I swallowed and then sat there for 10 minutes dry-heaving and crying.
4. As I was returning to our table outside, I watched, in utter horror, one of the other waiters take a half-empty basket of chips off of a table he was bussing, and toss them into the chip warmer drawer, to be served again.
5. I met our waiter about 4 seconds after that, with my correct cheese enchilada plate in his hand, en route to our table. I looked at it and told him quietly, "I'm sorry, I can't eat that now, please take it back." He looked at me, still crying, mascara running down my face, the shock and awe of watching someone else in the restaurant re-use food apparent....and said, "Well, what do you want ME to do with it?"
6. My friend, unbeknownst to me, had walked in to the restaurant while I was getting sick to get a glass of water and had heard the MANAGER and our waiter laughing about my eating meat and getting sick, so by the time I returned to the table she was fuming, and ready to leave the place, having not touched her calamari salad so we could leave the minute I got back. She asked for the check and was GIVEN ONE, for everything, including TWO enchilada plates, one for the mistake and one for the cheese that I was too sick to eat.
If I could give this place negative stars, I would. All of the above is 100% true. I have already contacted the appropriate foodservice regulation department regarding this place recycling tortilla chips....I hope they close Freds forever. It is an absolute blight on one of my favorite cities in the world. Avoid this place at all costs.
Good Grilled Fish Taco and Fun Atmosphere.
This is the kind of place to meet up with friends and have some food and drinks. There are screens playing music videos and sports games on weekends. It's not authentic Mexican food but the food is decent and the prices are very good for being in Gaslamp.
I love the chips and salsa. We go just at happy hour and just get margaritas and chips and salsa. Rolled tacos appetizer is good too. It's not the most authentic, but it's a chill vibe and easy place to hang out with friends or for happy hour.